Thursday, July 22, 2010

Blog Post #1

This is an essay about nothing in particular. That's right, I'm free writing. I'm doing it because it's good for me, good for my mind. I've been neglecting my writing all summer long, and now I need to bring my skills back up. Also, I'm writing to help maintain my sanity; it's good to spill your thoughts out in words every once in a while. It gives you a better grasp on your problems, and a better idea of who you are.
And part of knowing who you are is knowing what you believe in. I believe in the human spirit--the spirit of knowledge and learning. I believe it is possible to learn something--perhaps not everything--but something about life in this world. I believe the meaning of life is to find the meaning of life, to seek out answers to every question you ever have--especially the ones you are afraid to ask. Answers are like closed doors doors in your life; questions are the keys to opening them.
The skeleton key to opening every door, unlocking every answer, is one word: why? Why is the most important question to ask because it is flexible--it fits every lock:

"Why does a puddle dry up in the sun?"
"Why are most people afraid of speaking in public?"
"Why does everyone have to die?"

These examples barely scratch the surface of the multitudinous uses of the word, but they do exemplify its ability to cut right to the center of every answer worth searching for. And once you've reached some answers by taking the straightest path to their heart, you can define yourself by what you know through what you've learned and what you believe. I guess that's another reason I should maintain my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment