Thursday, December 30, 2010

An Ode to 'You'

This is an ode

to the one everybody likes

talking about on the Internet


in status updates, livejournals, tweets--

anything teenagers can get their keyboards on these days.


So many people admire you from

behind their computer screens,


but at times you do frustrate them.

Then they paint their Facebook walls

with aggressive graffiti aimed at you.


While it takes your admirers and enviers

great courage to drop such bold confessions about you--

especially where all their followers can see--

I can't help but wonder why they fail to drop one other little detail:


YOUR NAME (perhaps


they figure you willl know it's you they are speaking to

if they say it where everyone can read it).



I can't deny that

sometimes I wish I was You;

I envy the attention You gets.

That is why I dedicate these lines to him (or her).

May he (she?) forever dwell in anonymity!


And may I never be reduced to 'you'.

1 comment: