Monday, January 2, 2012

Messages Unsent

I made it a new year's resolution to write more often, thinking that I hadn't done enough during 2011, outside the writing required for classes. But writing is more than pencil and paper. I looked at my phone's drafts folder, where it saves text messages I type up but never send, and it turns out there are quite a few. They're mostly ideas for tweets that don't turn out as funny or witty as I intend, or one-liners for songs/poems I want to remember for later. Others are just thoughts and oddities I should write more to. Point is, I wrote more than I expected, even if it wasn't in my usual medium.

So, I thought I'd share a few of these drafts with you. Enjoy!


Songs that sound ineresting: An American Elegy, To Challenge the Sky and Heavens Above, Shenandoah by Frank Ticheli, The Whistler and His Dog
* * *
A pastor doing cartwheels. That's hilarious.
* * *
"If there is such a thing as going on strike from one's own culture, this is it." ~Matt Taibbi, on Occupy Wall Street
* * *
URGENT: Do NOT walk past band room between 1 and 2. Nick Shannon encounters imminent.
* * *
Overheard at MAC: "Junkyards are so existential."
* * *
11:11 is for people who can't count. It's their favorite time because it's all ones.
* * *
>People playing music from their phones and singing along to it.
* * *
Reminder: draw a P.O. Box
* * *

For some context, the songs that sound interesting are pieces of music I filed while working at MAC, and P.O. is supposed to stand for pissed off. I later drew a picture of a box yelling at the world. Yeah.

Also, mini tangent rant, I put the > < signs before the phrase, like in the ">People playing music..." draft. That's the way I first saw it done. Now I see tweets and Facebook updates like "Stepping out of a hot shower into a cold room<" where the signs come after the phrase. To me, it looks STUPID that way. I don't know why it started being done the other way around, but it needs to stop. Thank you.

To end this on a better note, I did get my hands on some new(ish) music. I got a Best Buy gift card for Christmas, and I spent some of it on the re-issue of Lagwagon's album Let's Talk About Feelings. Here's a track from it I've really been digging.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this. =)
    Perhaps they now do the > or < symbol at the end because it looks like a bullet point at the beginning, like something you'd see in a PowerPoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, I didn't think of that. I guess I'm so used to saying it in my head like "Greater than [unfavorable situation]" and it bugs me to read it as "[unfavorable situation], less than."
    By the way, thank you for commenting so often on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete